Wednesday, March 24, 2010

March 24, 2010

So far to date, I am currently working on three community gardens and I network resources with one other garden. I started Castle Street Community Garden in downtown Wilmington with the primary goal of growing medicinal herbs. Being a renter, I don't have a stable patch of yard to grow perennial plants or cultivate annual(ly) expanding weed patches that herbal medicine makers love so much. The solution was to start a community garden that would be there no matter where I was.

In its' second year, CSCG continues to thrive. The soil is rewarding us for our hard work shoveling horse manure, turning compost and bringing in topsoil. The perennial herbs (most people tend to consider them weed) survived the "harsh" winter and are literally getting bigger everyday. Thanks to OC, the greenhouse he and Cole built, we will have a head start on tomatoes, peppers and culinary herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment