Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Blizzard of '10

March 27, 2010  


 Here are a couple of pictures of the "Blizzard of '10 that hit on February 13, 2010.  When I moved to Wilmington, I knew that I was going to have to say good bye to regular winter snow. I go back to NJ every winter, so it was a loss I could take. When I woke up on this morning and recognized that hush that always settles after it has been snowing during the night, I crept out of my warm bed, put on boots s and went outside to marvel at the snowy wonderland in the blue dawn, just as I had when I was a kid.


  This is the view from my front door.

Below are some of Castle Street Community Gardens.


This is our children's garden. Toni and her son Ethan have been the main contributors to the garden. Tom constructed the PVC frame and provided the landscape  fabric to make our easily movable greenhouse. We have harvested oak leaf lettuce, mustard greens, bok choi and broccoli that was started back in January. 

 
The entrance to the garden is just to the left of this shot. 
From the front of the garden looking back.

        
Something about a cardinal in a green tree covered in snow is another image that reminds me of snow days in New Jersey. 

  
There are plants under much of that snow!


I was worried that our rain barrels might freeze, but they were just fine, it definitely didn't get that cold. In fact it was such a warm, wet snow it was practically gone by the end of the day. 
All that remained by the day after were randomly placed mutant looking snowman dotting muddy lawns.
  
This picture was taken right next to the children's garden towards the back of the space.

These are the trees behind the garden. 

This is part of the culinary and medicinal herb beds. The shrub sticking up is a lemon verbana.

       
A Broccoli in disguise. I harvested the florets after they got a little bigger and it didn't seem that the snow had much affect on the flavor.

We didn't lose any of the plants to the snow, any that were damage were the transplants that got hit by the frost a couple days prior. 



No comments:

Post a Comment